This page lists the standard courses that I currently offer. If you are interested in a custom course, please let me know; I will likely be able to help you, and create something appropriate for your staff. For example, I recently gave a two-day “nerd boot camp” for technical writers at a major computer company. If what you’re looking for isn’t on this list, contact me!
All courses include lectures, a great deal of live coding and demonstrations, and (of course) many hands-on exercises. I’m constantly updating the content of my courses to reflect current best practices, the latest things I’ve learned, and feedback from my previous students.
Participants receive PDF versions of my slides, solutions to the exercises we do in class. In the case of Python courses, students also receive an IPython notebook containing all of my live-coding examples.
Note: I am often booked months in advance. If you’re interested in having me teach a course, please contact me as soon as possible, to ensure that I can help you when you need it.
Here is a list of the in-person courses I offer:
- Introduction to databases with PostgreSQL (4 days)
- PostgreSQL programming and administration (3 days)
- Introduction to PostgreSQL for experienced database developers (2 days)
- Introduction to Ruby (4 days)
- Web development with Ruby on Rails (4 days)
- Regular expressions
- Introduction to regular expressions (2 days)